Bobby Kerr, from Dragon’s Den fame and successful businessman spoke at the ceremony that took place at MacroomE last week where he presented the Greenshoots graduates with their certificates for completing the inaugural new business programme.
Bobby shared his business wisdom with the new graduates, mentors, trainers and invited guests and gave us all his Top 10 Life and Business Tips:
1.Avoid the begrudgers and those who have a negative cloud over their heads – all they will do is drag you down! Make sure you surround yourself with positive people.
2. Do something you enjoy doing & have fun doing it!
3. Put a priority on your health and your family
4. There is real value out there – negotiate, negotiate, negotiate
5. Be honest and do your work with integrity – never do anything that you will look back on with regret
6. Make sure you have a clear plan – set goals and targets for yourself
7. Be realistic, everything will take longer to work than you thought and will cost more – allow for this from the start!
8. Don’t be afraid to change or adapt your plan – life changes, so should you
9. Network as much as you can, make connections and learn from others
10. Make sure you “stay in the ring” – do what you need to do to survive, things will improve and you need to be one of the one standing when this happens
While there was no rocket science in what Bobby said it was great to hear such basic and practical advice delivered in such a no nonsense way from such a successful businessman.
Bobby endeared himself with the crowd with a simple story about his first visit to Macroom many moons ago - he had told his dad that he was going to The Mountain Dew Festival in Macroom to listen to the poet Rory Gallagher.
Rory, I’m not sure if you were a poet, but you could definitely play guitar!!
Greg Canty is a partner of Fuzion