PR or Public Relations is all about Managing your Reputation– protecting, maintaining, building and managing your reputation.
There is nothing more valuable as a good reputation and this is about a lot more than employing a PR company.
Your reputation is every single aspect of how your business relates to the outside world, your customers, your prospects, the general public and the media. This applies equally to a small store as it does to a large store or brand.
Ok, how about 16 Tips for improving and managing your Positive Reputation (PR)
1. Behave in an upbeat way with staff and customers
2. Ensure your staff does the same
3. Answer the phones promptly, politely, positively and helpfully
4. Return missed calls promptly
5. Return email enquiries quickly
6. Deliver a good, friendly service to customers
7. Handle complaints fairly and efficiently
8. Deliver products and services on time
9. Be polite, fair and efficient with your suppliers and staff
10. Keep customers and prospects up to date with new products, features and services
11. Treat your customers with respect (even if they are experiencing difficulty and are under financial pressure)
12. Ensure that your website and all your printed materials are well laid out, with correct English, easily understood, professional and properly reflect your business
13. Ensure your store, premises and vehicles are kept neat and tidy
14. Ensure the attire of your staff is in keeping with the standards of your business
15. Ensure your staff always talk up your company and do not air grievances outside of the four walls with external people – make a pact to sort things out internally
16. Talk up the achievements of your company and the staff working there – their talents, skills and achievements
This is not an exhaustive list – have a think about it and add another 5/10/20 points to improve your reputation even more. Even better get your team to help you with this task.
Ok, all of this is good for your business reputation, it didn’t require the intervention of third party consultants and oh yeah, it didn’t really cost a shilling – you still have your €1 left!
So far we have looked at some housekeeping reputation issues, what about behaving even more positively?